The medical services industry is now one of the largest industries in the world. But how safe and sure should we expect medical care to be today?
Has the system adopted standards above which it will not go ?
Has the system got the capability to monitor its operation ? And what happens when the outcome of treatment is clearly not what was expected or planned ?
If patients and care givers are to honestly take part in the process of health care in all its forms they must face the facts both good and bad about what can go on ....
... and be willing to support
efforts for real change and reform to improve standards and
patient safety in the face of forces whose only focus is on
profit and a narrowly defined economic 'bottom line' that
ignores pain, suffering, and cost-shifts out of health
budgets medical injury costs into what is wrongly called the
You may be entitled to compensation from Medical Defence Unions (MDUs) which are your doctors' insurers
BIRTH INJURIES - Cerebral palsy, hyperactivity, deafness, blindness, epilepsy, developmental disabilities, speech disorders, limb-paralysis, autism, learning disabilities, stillborn, head injuries, fractures of pelvis (MOTHERS)
SURGICAL ERRORS - Fistula, kidney failure, wound breakdowns, tinnitus, double vision, deaths, scarring, wasting of muscles, deformity, loss of functions, colostomy, depomedrol injections causing crippling pain (spinal arachnoiditis)
MEDICAL MISHAPS - Failure to diagnose and treat: cancer, heart attacks, diabetes, cerebral aneurysm, gastro-enterits, meningitis, epiglottitis, encephalitis, child abuse, Side-effects of medication: pills/strokes, valium/addiction, arthritic drug/peptic ulcer, anticoagulants/haemorrhage, sedatives/accidents, penicillin/anaphylaxis, oxygen/blindness, floxapen/hepatitis, triple antigen/encephalopathy
JAUNDICE OF NEWBORN - severe cerebral palsy, deafness, intellectual disability.
1. Publish consensus statements so that judges may read them (e.g bad deliveries do not cause cerebral palsy, jaundice of the newborn is harmless).
2. Forge their experts' reports before showing them to the judges.
3. Instruct well-paid experts to change their opinions and written reports.
4. Coach defendants to become experts to give false "expert" testimony
5. Instruct their members to boycott hospital enquiries.
6. Instruct members not to respond to enquiries by NSW Medical Board.
7. Misrepresent that they would call experts (trial by ambush).
8. Reclassify all neonatal jaundice as "physiological and harmless"
9. Attack plaintiffs' integrity and mental state to discredit their testimonies.
1. Do not give patients their medical records.
2. Do change your medical reports (doctoring notes) - to win a case.
3. Do swear that the patients gave consent when they did not.
4. Do rewrite medicine in courts - judges, juries would never know.
5. Say patients had lost medical records, when you failed to keep any.
6. Say the patients did not attend your surgeries when they did.
7. State they are obese (excuse for botched surgeries) when they are slim.
8. Insist that their baby's jaundice was normal when it was not.
9. Tell patients that their babies are brain-damaged by bad genes so that MDUs may avoid liability, regardless of the facts.
10. Insist that the patients were never admitted, though they were.
11. Believe/testify that you are "BLAMELESS" doctors, that your patients are greedy and deluded (even if they are clearly reasonable and sane)
12. Warn members not to discuss litigation with colleagues and families (though natural and therapeutic) just to avoid possible compensation liability. (such discussions do not attract legal privilege).
13. Persuade Health Complaints Commissions to arrange "conciliation", which is disguised grief-counselling (by unqualified and biased 'counsellors')
copyright © 1998 Medical Defence Conspiracy. All rights