Frances Wolseley (1872-1936) was the daughter of Field Marshal Viscount Wolseley (1833-1913) and the Lady Louisa Wolseley. At the start of the century she established the first horticulture college for women - The College for Lady Gardeners - at Ragged Lands, Glynde. Her aim was to provide women with training to allow them to become professional gardeners and to challenge prevailing notions that women were just interested in flowers. The College prospectus stated that "the College is run practically upon the lines of a Market Garden, so as to prove what an educational thinking Head can accomplish towards making land profitable, to show how much money can be made with a properly cultivated and well cropped garden". In 1908 she published "Gardening For Women". In 1913 she was made a Freeman of the City of London, succeeding to her father's title after his death in the same year.
The Wolseley Collection, Hove Library - UK.
Throughout their lives the whole family maintained a precise record of all correspondence as well as their daily lives, and in addition to their own papers which Frances donated to Hove library in 1928, those of her father's papers which she possessed were also donated in 1935. The remainder came to Hove Library from the Royal United Services Institution in 1970. This is an extensive archive based on the personal and public papers of Lord Wolseley and Frances Wolsleley, and encompasses a wide variety of life history documents. These include letters, diaries, Frances Wolseleys scrapbooks and commonplace books, her unpublished autobiography (including photographs, sketches and ephemera), press reports and articles on the life and work of father and daughter, obituaries, published biographies, photographs, and other material.