The Reverend Ralph Tollemache's Parish School for Witham, Lincolnshire - an Appeal - 1860
The information below has been generously provided by Susan Tollemache and her brother, Peter Tollemache. The transcription of the names and the original images are the work of Susan herself and are received with gratitude. Click on the Manners seal image to return to source pages.
Susan writes: "In 1860, the Reverend Ralph W. L. Tollemache-Tollmache M.A. J.P, Rector of South Witham, near Grantham in Lincolnshire, sent out a printed form requesting a contribution of 1/- to finance the building of a school in the parish. The following is a list of those who contributed. The amounts given varied. Some were folded up in the notice and then this was sealed with wax and stamped with a signet ring. These seals along with the notes and signatures are glued in three exercise books.
Not all the notes were complimentary; some pointing out it was illegal to put coins of the realm into the mail. Others I have re-read recently suggeested he should ask his relations who were "obviously" well off, namely Earl Dysart. Others said they were sorry they could only afford 1/-. Another I saw, gave 2/6d and there is one that has the image of 12 red stamps staining the back of the letter. The seals are interesting, in their own right.
If any name spellings are incorrect, my apologies - its because the handwritten signatures were difficult to read. I have been unable to ascertain whether a school was established as a result of this collection. There is a Modern School in the general vicinity called the Dysart School. "
||26. Sir J.
27. Earl of Garbrough.
28. Sir Armstrong Bart.
29. M. Austen of : - Branderda Hall, Suffolk.
30. Mrs Tottermore 1/- of : - Poltimore, Exeter, Devonshire.
31 Sir J. Smith
32. Mrs Grovenor.
33. Sir J. D. Landers Bart of: - Castlebrigg.
34. Sir M. Barrington Bart.
35. Lady Guyon of : - Chomonly, Loughborough.
36. Sir Erasmus Borrows
37. Robert Gibbons of : - Seend Meltsham Cambs.
38. Mrs. Skrimshire.
39. Sir Michael Arthur.
40. Lady Berney.
41. Rev. A. Bloxham. 3x 1d stamps
42. Hon. Georgina Colville.
43. Sir Brinkman of : - No.40 Berkley Square, London.
44. Lord Ventry.
45. Mrs. Maitland.
46. Mrs. Oliver. 1/- + 3 stamps
47. Sir H. D. Mafsy.
48. Sir G. Hunter Blaire.
49. Lady Selina Hastings.
50. Earl of Huntington of : - Ganther Cottage, Waterford, Ireland.
|51. H. Dryden.
2/- in stamps
52. R. Sheffield Bart of : -. Normanby Park, Brigg.
53. Sir George Ramsey Buniff.
54. Sir J. Colquhin Bart.
55. Rev. Sawbridge.
56. Sir John Stuart Mentohs
57. Hon. Lord George Gordon of : - Heshion Rectory, Peterborough, Cambs.
58. Hon. Magter Melishe.
59. Earl of Wilton.
60. Sir J. G. Sinclair Bart.
61. Sir H. H. Bruce Bart.
62. Sir W. Parker.
63 & 64. Miss Munro & Miss W. Tollemache of : - Edgebaston Rectory.
65. Lady Louisa Finch Hatton.
66. Sir D. Cumiser.
67. Rev. T. R. Drake of : - Chichester, Kent.
68. Mrs. Broughton Leigh of : - Broccdover Hall.
69. Sir J. H. Hayes.
70. Sir James Torkington of :- Stampford, Lincolnshire.
71. Rev. Sir J. C. Miller Bart. of :- Rectory, Ancomb.
72. Mr. Litchford.
73. Sir A. Mackworth. 1/- of: Woolwich.
74. Mr Lawson of : - Buckminster.
75. Lady Ishendon of :- Sutherland.
|76. Sir H.
77. Sir Harry Mainsery.
78. Earl of Leitrim.
79. Lady Bethaven.
80. Lady Braybrooke.
81. G. J. Beccroft.
82. Lord Delamere.
83. Viscount Bavington.
84. Sir T. S. Trideaux Bart.
85. Lord Owdney.
86. Duke of Leinster.
87. Sir O. Mosley Bart of : - Ancoats, Lancashire.
88. Colleton of : - Stampford & Warrington.
89. Viscount Boyne.
90. Lady Foster.
91. Bailey Esq. M. P.
92. Duke of Bedford.
93. Earl of Guildford.
94. Sir John Stuart Oscort.
95. J. Mathley of : - Clapham, London.
96. William Wilson of : - Desbrough, Kettering.
97. Mr. J. C Devise.
98. Viscount Strathallen.
99. Lady Finns. Some stamps
100. Duke of Leeds.
|101. Earl of
102. Countess of Salford.
103. Duchess of Grafton. 2/6d
104. Marchioness of Drogheda.
105. Thomas Bazley Esq.
106. Lord Fraquair. 12 stamps
107.Sir J. Shelley.
108. Aswarley Parkes.
109. Sir T. W. Whitegate Bart.
110. Rev. Sir Phillips Bart.
111. Sir Sucherel Wilmot Bart of :- Chadderden, Derbyshire.
112. J. F.Hansbury. 1/-
113. Lady Foley.
114. Duke of Beaufort.
115. Judge Coleridge.
116. Sir W. Elliott Bart.
117. Rev. C. Hoskins of : - Chippenham, Buckinghamshire.
118. J. Trimley.
119. The Rev. Viscount Conenose
120. Lady Mostyn.
121. Lady Dunmore.
122. J. Burn of :- Block Cottage.
123. Eliza Golding.
124. Sir James Titchborne Bart.
125. Rev. F. Murray. Of : - Chislehurst.
Sommerville of : - Dinden Well,
127. Sir J. Seinson Bart.
128. Lady Kenyon.
129. Hon. G. Farrington.
130. Lady Oranmore Browne.
131. Viscountess Doneraille
132. Countess of Strathclyde.
133. The Countess of Carysfort
134. Charles J. Herbert of :- Royal Barracks, Dublin. Ireland.
135. Lady Victoria Cecil.
136. Hon Victoria Governor.
137. J.H. Meath.
138. Viscount Gerh.
139. Hon. Mrs Lafte of : - Craney Rectory.
140. Mrs. Hely Hutchinson. Of :- Upper Brook Street.
141. Rev. E. Wilkinson of : - Chipping (Camden).
142. Miss Allcard of:- No 17 Hamilton Terrace, St Johns. Wood. London.
143. Rev. Henry Perceval of : - Rectory Elmley Lovette, Droitwich.
144. Earl of Farthacount of: - Braintree Branch of London County Bank.
145. Rev. P Jacob.
147. Lady de la Zouche
148. Lord Erskine.
149. Viscountess Barrington.
150. Countess of Scarborough
151. Lord Stanhope.
152. Sir Atwell Lake of :- No 7 Kensington Gardens, London.
153. Earl Cadogan 2/6 in stamps
154. Hon. Alan Herbert.
155. Lord Denman.
156. Lord Boston.
157.Rev. Arthur Shirley.
158. Lady Emily Foley.
159. Isabel Joyce.
160. E. S. Barton Esq.
161.M. Barnetts of :- No. 129 Albany Street, Regents Park, London.
162. Sir Fitzroy Kelly.
163. T. Norbury.
164. H. S. Carjals of :- West Beasley Rectory, Ripley, Surrey.
165. Rev. Fowler of :- Sackville Street Club, (? Dublin)
166. Mrs Chas. Wentworth Fitzwilliam of : - 5 Cliff bridge Tce., Scarborough, Yks.
167. F. D. Byrne.
168. A. Agthides Esq..
169. Captain Anson.
170. Viscount Neville.
172. Lady Kavanagh.
173. Countess of Erne of : Gilconawl.
174. A. Hawkes of : - Croxley Green, Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire.
175. J. Dickinson.
176. Rev W. J. C. Lindsey.
177. Sir J. C. Carden ~
178. Lord Bishop of Tramte.
179. Viscount Fullidared
180. Lady Napier of: - Thurlslane, Selkirk, Scotland
181. Lord Northwick.
182. General Lord Hunt.
183. Sir H Bateson Bart.
184. Rev. H. P. Wright of : - Canterbury.
185. Viscount Taaffe of :- Elisham Castle, Bohemia.
186. Sir James Stronge.
187. Lord Smitheak
188. Viscount Baugam.
189. Countess of Claradon.
190. Lady Leigh.
191. Countess of Chichester.
192. Sir James Tower Bart.
193. Sir L Potts.
194. Countess of Essex.
195. Lord George Maunlis.
196. Sir Colin Wedderbern
|197. Rev. L. D.
198. Edward Hill.
199. Lord Lyttleton of : - Cambridge.
200. Hon. Rev. L Irby
201 & 202. Miss King & Miss Lizzy King.
203. Sir William Osbourne of: - Beechwood Park, Nenagh, Co. Tipperary, Ireland.
204. Mrs Richardson.
205. Lady Norbury.
206. Lady Raglan
207. Hon. Rev. Isby.
208. Marchioness of Waterford, Ireland.
209. Lady Talbot de Malahide of:- Malahide Castle, Co Dublin. Ireland.
210. Sir L. R. Lorton
211. Mrs. Prettyjohn. of : - Exmoor, Devonshire.
212. Hon. Percy Barrington.
213. Countess of Kintore.
214. Sir J. S. Lude.
215. Lady Sherbourne.
216. Mrs Plumketh Wade.
217. Mrs Harris.
218. C.M. Barker.
219. Lady Stuart de Devises.
220. Rev. S. J. Peach
221. Lady Ribbleswade.
222. Lady Foley.
223. Earl of Norbury.
224. Lady Legge.
225. Lady Meegan, of: - Cavan, Co. Meath, Ireland.
Duchess of Levecd Melville.
227. Ann Hill.
228. Lord Elibank.
229. Lady Dunraven, of: - Barn Hall, Eddleston & Adare Manor, Co. Kildare, Ireland.
230. Lady Clanrens of: - Augrgclan, Ardehair, Co. Galway, Ireland.
231. Hon. Elizabeth Mills.
232. W Houran
233. Mrs. Howard.
234. Mrs. Alexander of: - No. 10 Paradise Terrace, Bayswater, London.
235. Hon. Col. J. T. Hewitt.
236. Hon. Mrs Ryder.
237. Lady Hare.
238. General Lucan.
239. M. J. Bass M. P.
240. A Bower Esq.
241. Hon. F. Vernon.
242. Michael Barretts.
243. Sir Charles Phipps of: - Windsor Castle, Berkshire.
244. Mary Arnold of: - No. 39 Westborne Park Villas.
245. Mr. Buchan of :- No. 3A Cleveland Row, London.
246. Lady Barry.
247. Mr. F. G. Beresford.
248. Mrs. Jackson.
249. Mrs. Prichards
250. MacLean Baillie of: - Sandown, Isle of Wight.
252. Major General Barnes of: - Freeman Hall, Oxford.
253. Caroline E. Liddle: - of 10 Eaton Place, London.
254. Hon. Emily. Lovette.
255. Hon. Georgina Methuen.
256. Lady Cecilia Jurnham.
257. Lady Louisa Hanck
258. J. U. Bastiery.
259. General Sir F. Buckley.
260. Albert W. Woods of: - Lancaster Herald.
261. Lady Janet Wilburn.
262. W. Barker
263. Lady Harriett St Claire Erskine.
264. Mrs. Archibald Harvey of: - Regents Park, London.
265. Mary Moysop.
266. Mrs. Beatty.
267. Moria Browne.
268. William Green.
269. Lady Harrington
270. Viscount Boringdon.
271. Hon. Willowghby.
272. G. R. Griffiths.
273. Count Felix Wimpffen.
274. Herbert C.L. Hunt.
276. Mrs Bolham.
277. William Read.
278. Lord Louis Parker.
279. Mr Bennett.
280. Quinn M. P. Ireland.
281. Lady Bromley.
282. Mrs Blanchford.
283. J.R. Blake.
284. Charles Gibbons.
285. William Blake.
286. Hon Mrs Dawson.
287. Mr Reece.
288.G. Lucas of: - No. 26 Marylebone Road, London.
289. Captain Geralds.
290. T.E. Morefields of :- March Morton Lodge, Buckingham,
Brindley of:- No. 11 Scarsdale Villas,
301. Miss. Grellon.
302. T.J. Herne of: - Hunt Woods.
303. Venerable E. D. Knox.
304. The Earl of Kilaloe of: - Lorlaglele, Lorne, Ireland.
305. Mrs Montmorency.
306. Mrs Beavis of :- The Terrace Kensington, London.
307. E. Maynard..
308. Maurice de Niary. Of: Paris, France.
309. Rev. Johns. Of Fenagh Rectory, Co. Leitrim, Ireland.
310.Mr J. Hill of: - Devonshire Villas. London.
311. Mr Cook of: - Gloucester Green, Regents Park London.
312. William H. Cope. Of: - Beech Hill.
313. Mrs Barton.
314. Hon. Louisa Angreve of: - Mount Congreve, Co Waterford. Ireland.
315. Lt. Col. The Hon A. H. Stapleton Cotton.
316. T. d Arcy Evans Esq.
317. J.M. Agelasto Esq.
318. W. S. Stoppard of: - Drayton House.
319. Hon Mrs Creswell of: - Bank House, Kings Lynn, Norfolk.
320. Mrs. J. Monkton.
321. Hon. Banners of: - . No. 11 Delamere Street Upper Westbourne Terrace, London.
322. Hon. A. Stoppard.
323. Marquess of Chomndley.
324. Miss. Eunice Hanffey of: - Stock Grove, Leighton Buzzard.
325. Viscount Stuart.
328. Hon. Honoria Hunter.
329. H. W. Adams of: - No.13 Buckland Terrace, Belsize Park, London.
330. Hon. E. T. Yorke M.A.
331. Col. Pratt.
332. Lady Airley of: - No 1 Coventry, Bungate House, Fordingbridge, Hampshire.
333. Henry Dipscomb of: - Comptrollers Office, Raby Castle, Darlington.
334. Rev. H. J. Wright of: - Antwell Rectory, Wisbeach. Cambridgeshire.
335. Hon Mrs Paget.
|336. Hon. Emily
337. Countess of Shaftsbury.
338. W. Purdy.
339. Lady Willbroken.
340. Lady Welby.
341. Baron de Clifford of: - Kirby Hall.
342. R. Jones Bateman of: - 9 Montague Place, Bryant Square, Tottenham, London. & Knockbrook, Co Leitrim. Ireland.
343. John Adams Esq. Of: - No 117 Great Russell Street, London.
344. Mrs. Tighe of: - Rofsands, Ashford, Kent.
345. G. Allcard.
346. Countess of Clonmel, Co Tipperary, Ireland.
347. Miss Beaumont
348. Lady Isabella Baring.
349. Captain Foley of: - No. 3 Waterloo Place, Leamington.
350. Mrs Argyle.
351. Mrs Charles Radnor
352. Sir W. K. Murray Bart.
353. Miss Borreshall Cox.
354. Dr. Watersof: - Wentworth, Woodhouse, Rotherham, Yorks.
355. Mr. Caldwell of: - Barnard Castle.
356. William Banks.
357. Mr. Richard Bloom of: - Beccles, Suffolk.
358. Mr. Abbotts of. : - No. 39 Fredrick Street, Greys in Road, London
359. Mr. Boyles of: - Whitfield Street, Battle, Sussex.
360. J. A. Sykes Esq. Of: - Raywell, Borough, East Riding Yorkshire.
361. Mrs Closknowes of: - Adchester Villa, Maida Vale, London.
362. Countess of Durham.
364. M. H. Brooking Esq. Of: - Palmers Green, London.
365. John Adams of: - Royston, Calvary Barracks.
366. George Barley.
367. A. Burdett of: - Coutts, Stratton Street, London.
368. Thomas Coe.
369. Mrs Crickinshower.
370. John Dawson.
If this is the only page on your screen - with no navigation or header bars, click here.
The Gossip Notes of Ada Tollemache (4th Lady Sudeley) may be seen via the keyhole image.