They are both buried in a 'box tomb' at Llanbadarnfawr.
|This is the
marriage (it is suspected) that brings together the lines
of David Ward, his cousin May Scharf,
The Drew Smythe family and the
Drew family in America of Carol Drew McGlasson as treated on
"There is a Quaker Meeting House," writes David Ward, "not far from Gwstre, called The Pales. It is an 18th century thatched building, in a beautiful and peaceful site. Drew gravestones may be found there."
|Click on the image of
Cefyllys Church to see a table of families connected to
Welsh Drews of the area.
The modern perception of Welsh History in the Norman period has tended to be focused on Gwynedd, and on the struggle by the princes of North Wales for supremacy amongst the Welsh. In fact, between the Norman Conquest of England in 1066 and the collapse of independent Gwynedd in 1283, Gwynedd enjoyed hegemony only under Llywelyn Fawr in 1217-1240 and Llywelyn ap Gruffydd in 1263-1276.
Outside these two brief episodes, the Welsh were far more likely to turn to their own local lords and princes for protection and advancement. Throughout the 12th century there were four principal competing Welsh `kingdoms' - and of these, one has only recently been recognised by modern research. The four were Gwynedd in the north and north-west, Deheubarth, arguably the most powerful of the four in the centre-west and south, Powys, lying roughly between Shrewsbury, Chester and Aberystwyth, and south of Powys, the newly-recognised Cynllibiwg, lying between Shrewsbury, Aberystwyth and the River Wye.
... This kingdom, centred more or less on the old county of Radnorshire, was assumed to be an insignificant place. Its borders, its longevity, even its name were uncertain. Now it can be seen to have been a major player, held in high esteem by Henry II, overlord of all the Welsh princes and King of England for the second half of the century.
The `rediscovery' of Cynllibiwg was the achievement of an independent Herefordshire-based historian, Bruce Coplestone-Crow, during the 1980s, but his work has not yet been widely published. He noticed that a number of variants of the name existed in documents dating from the 9th to the 13th century, all referring to the same broad area. The 9th century Historia Brittonum referred to `Cinlipiuc' or `Cinloipiauc'; the Domesday Book of 1086 has `Calcebuef'; and the 13th century Red Book of the Exchequer - an English royal list of 11th-13th century landholdings - has `Kenthlebiac' in a reference dating to the 1070s. In the late 12th century, the writer Gerald of Wales knew this land as Rhwng Gwy a Hafren, `Between the Rivers Wye and Severn'. Cynllibiwg is a modern spelling. Full Text of Paul Remfry's Article
On the 26th of May 1899, a treasure of both Late Roman and Late Celtic artwork came to light on a hillside deep inside Wales. Could this treasure have belonged to Vortigern? On that fateful day, a young man from the Welsh village of Cwmdauddwr, by the name of James Marston happened to climb among the Carregwynion Rocks in the parish of Nantmel. He later stated he only meant to roll a stone downhill to scare the foxes out, which may have been a senseless act of bored vandalism in itself, but things turned out differently. When he took the iron bar he had with him and started to dislodge a piece of rock, he noticed that several pieces of material fell out of the crevice he just made. Gold! Our young man must have been both shocked and flabbergasted. Jewellery! Did he just make his fortune? SOURCE