|Captain Frank Drew (R.T.R.)
Pictured left is Henry James Drew-Smythe - a Drew family cousin - the actual point of family link is in the process of research and verification. The picture was taken in 1943. dds-8/02
Frank Drew was a brother of Winifred Drew and an uncle to David Ward who has so generously supplied many Drew family details for this site. Frank's father was Tom Drew and his grandfather was Vincent David Drew, a brother of James E. Drew who married Jane Probert, had a son named James and migrated to America in 1854.
Frank Drew trained at Sandhurst and served in the Royal Tank Regiment during World War II. He was badly wounded in Normandy (mentioned in despatches) and, as a result of his wounds, lost an eye. The adjacent photograph conceals a glass eye and scarring on the right temple. His nephew, David Ward, writes: "I first remember him during the war. He had a black patch. Later they fitted a glass eye, but not very well - he looked like a car with one headlight permanently on high beam. He wore a monocle on occasions."
In many ways he was something of an idealist - "true to the traditions of those 17th century Radnorshire gentry who supported Parliament during the Civil War". (1642-1645)
After World War II, Frank Drew chose to become a teacher. He worked in a social priority school within the Borough of Clapham - London; a school where he found even his idealism to be strained at times; he remained, nevertheless, dedicated to his vocation and - one suspects - "made a difference". He was known to be a modest man and, it is thought, became quite lonely towards the end of his life.
His sister, Constance Drew, was also a teacher. She was born with one green eye and one brown. She married Franklin Williams, a sportsmaster, who played Rugby Union and who represented both Wales and the Barbarians in his time. Constance Drew ended her days as Headmistress of Tamworth Girls' High School in the British Midlands.