BiograPhyle Enid Audrey CloutmanSt. Mary Redcliff
Enid Audrey Cloutman
Born 1893 - Married 1914 Henry James Drew-Smythe - Died 1971

Enid Audrey Cloutman was born in 1893. She was the youngest daughter of a pioneering commercial traveller - a paper and stationery businessman - and a mother who was descended from the Huguenot exodus of seventeenth century France.

She was educated in Bristol and had a keen interest in theatre and the arts, a source of enjoyment that was to sustain her in later life. She met her future husband whilst he was involved in amateur productions as an actor whilst undertaking his medical training in Bristol. They were married in 1914 at St. Mary Redcliff in Bristol but the First World War separated them and they did not set up home together until after the war. During this time, she served as a V.A.D. in France and in home-base hospitals in the South of England.

After the war, they settled in Bristol (next door to the family of the best man at their wedding) and two sons, Richard David Somerset and John Roderick, were born in the 1920s. During this time, her husband built his reputation in medicine.

The family remained in Bristol until the mid 1930s then moved to property and land on the outskirts of Bristol, at Tockington in Gloucestershire, where she began running a small farm - mainly arable but also some cattle and a flock of the most ferocious geese; better, she would always state, than any watch dog. She enjoyed her family, her gardening, reading and the arts and was a major support to the professional career of her husband - often to her own emotional cost.

In 1946/7, she is credited with having "discovered" Tockington Manor for the Tovey family - (Gordon and Janet) - the Manor then becoming a boys' Preparatory School which thrives to this date; its second generation Headmaster, Richard Tovey, and his wife, Jane, now run the co-educational school with growing enrollments.

In her own right, Enid Drew-Smythe became an important member of the local community and was a solid campaigner for local environmental issues, especially the retention of hedgerows, at a time when such movements were in their infancy. When her husband finally retired and they found the physical demands of large gardens and an orchard too great to face, they moved to Cheltenham. Within a couple of years she fell victim to thrombosis and died suddenly in December 1971.