Vaughns, Merediths, Beaumonts, Drews) and the Quakers
"There is a Quaker Meeting House," writes David Ward, "not far from Gwstre (a Drew family farm), called The Pales. It is an 18th century thatched building, in a beautiful and peaceful site. Drew gravestones may be found there."
The Quakers created a significant stronghold in the central counties of Wales - Radnor, Montgomery and environs - and many of the leading yeoman families were Quakers. Uppermost amonst these was perhaps the family, Lloyd - of Montgomery - and with their cousin branches in Radnor and its neighbouring counties, they formed a powerful series of inter-family marriages which produced close-knit alliances throughout the seventeenth, eighteenth and nineteenth centuries.
The family name of Lloyd descends from Ievan Teg, otherwise known as "Evan the Handsome", whose family owned and occupied Dolobran, in Montgomeryshire, Wales, from 1476 - stad Dolobran ym mhlwyfi Meifod a Llanfihangel-yng-Ngwynfa, sir Drefaldwyn. (The parish church of Meifod was built in 1154.)
The Lloyds of Dolobran
Owen Lloyd, son of Ievan Teg, married Katherine Vaughn, and his brother, David Lloyd, of Dolobran, married Eva Goch, daughter of David Goch. David Lloyd, son of David and Eva, had a son, John Lloyd, who was the grandfather of the celebrated 'Governor Lloyd' who settled in America, who married Catharine, daughter of Humphrey Lloyd Wyn, whose father John Lloyd, was a son of Ievan Lloyd and grandson of Owen Lloyd and Katherine Vaughn. John Lloyd, grandfather of Catharine, married Margaret Kynaston, who was a lineal descendant of King Edward I., through the following line:-
Jane, "the fair maid of Kent," granddaughter of Edward I, and daughter of Edmund of Woodstock, Earl of Kent, married (first) Sir Thomas Holland, who was thereupon made Earl of Kent, and (second) Edward, the Black Prince, becoming by the second marriage the mother of Richard II. Her eldest son, Sir Thomas Holland, who succeeded his father of Earl of Kent and was later Marshall of England, had a daughter Eleanor who married (first) Roger Mortimer, Earl of March, from which marriage descended Edward IV, and (second) Edward Cherleton , Lord of Powys, by whom she had a daughter Joane, who married Sir John Grey, who in 1418, was created Earl of Tankerville.
Henry Grey, Earl of Tankerville, son of Sir John and Joane, married Antigone, daughter of Humphrey, Duke of Gloucester, who was a son of Henry IV, and had a daughter - Elizabeth, who married Roger Kynaston and their son, Humphrey Kynaston, was the father of Margaret Kynaston, who married John Lloyd, and whose granddaughter, Catharine, married another John Lloyd, the grandfather of Thomas Lloyd.
Thomas Lloyd was sent to Jesus College, Oxford, where he graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Arts in 1661. He became a prominent Quaker who eventually left Britain for the freedoms of America and arrived in Pennsylvania on the 20th of August, 1683. Both he and his brother, Charles, with several others of the gentry of Montgomeryshire, became converted to the faith of the Society of Friends, under the teaching of George Fox in 1663, and both were imprisoned in 1664 and continued, nominally at least, to be prisoners until 1672, when Charles II., by letters patent, dispensed with the laws which inflicted punishment for religious offences.
He was a physician in Wales and had a large practice. Being of the gentry class - and a man of high intellectual ability - he exercised a wide influence in matters of state, despite belonging to a proscribed religious society. There are those who believe that it was because of his influence that Parliament was eventually persuaded to abolish the long unused writ "de heretico comburendo", under which the Quakers were so often threatened and persecuted. He was offered the inducements of high position and great influence if he would renouce his religion but he maintained his beliefs. In 1681 he and his brother Charles held a public disputation at the town hall at Llanwilling with kinsman, the Right Reverend William Lloyd, Bishop of Asaph, one of the noted prelates whom James II committed to the Tower.
Once he settled in Pennsylvania, Thomas Lloyd became President of the Provincial Council, 1684-88, was commissioned Deputy Lieutenant-Governor in March 1691 and served until 26th April 1693. For eight of the eleven years he lived in Pennsylvania he was the highest officer or Chief Magistrate of the Province. His will was proved at Philadelphia, on the 22nd of October 1694.
Charles Lloyd, the son of John Lloyd and Catherine Wyn was born at Dolobran, in 1613. He was a magistrate of Montgomeryshire and had emblazoned on a panel at Dolobran, his coat-of-arms, (partially reproduced here) with fifteen quarterings, impaled with the arms of his wife, Elizabeth, daughter of Thomas Stanley, of Knockden - and a descendant of the Earls of Derby. The Lloyd arms were "azure, a chevron between three cocks argent" and the different quarterings show the descent from the ancient male lines of the Lords of Powys, the Cherletons, Greys and Kynastons. The first quarter of the maternal arms in the shield of the Earls of Derby, differenced with a crescent charged with a crescent, indicates that Thomas Stanley was descended from a second son of a second son. Charles Lloyd died January 17, 1649/50. Elizabeth Stanley, the daughter of Thomas Stanley and Sarah Burton, was born in about 1617 in Knockyn, Salop, England and died about 1650.
Their children were:- Elizabeth Lloyd - married Henry Parry, of Merionethshire, Wales. Charles Lloyd - born December 09, 1637 in Dolobran, Montgomery, Wales and died November 26, 1698. He inherited Dolobran and was the ancestor of the Sampson Lloyd who was the Lloyd founder of the celebrated Lloyd's Bank. He married on November 11, 1661, Sarah Elizabeth Lort - born November 02, 1633 at Stackpole Court, Pembrokeshire, Wales. She died November 02, 1685. She was the daughter of Sampson Lort and Olive Phillips from the line of Baronet John Phillips ca 1590 of Picton Castle, Pembrokeshire, Wales. John Lloyd was born 1639 and died 1695 - a clerk in Chancery and Thomas Lloyd born April 17, 1640 in Dolobran, Montgomery, Wales died October 10, 1694.
The later hyphenated family name of Lort-Phillips of Pembrokeshire attaches to a marriage related to the Drew-Smythe family of this site - through the second marriage (divorce 1982) of Richard David Somerset (d. 1987) Drew-Smythe and Mary (d. 1993) Lewes (née Glyn) whose father was killed in a riding accident when she was an infant. Her mother, Katie's, second marriage was to Colonel Patrick Lort-Phillips.
Iron, Banking and Maritime Insurance ...
The Lloyd family of Montgomeryshire took over the local iron mill in 1694 and developed it until they were able to replace it in 1714. They added an interest in an iron furnace near Wrexham in 1717 and then expanded to found mills in Birmingham. These were the days of the 'Sampson Lloyd' dynasty. The father began it, the son continued his father's work and the grandson completes their Sampson Lloyd history.
Charles Lloyd (1697-1741) - Lloyd developer of Iron interests ...
Sampson (1) Lloyd was actually born in Welshpool Gaol - a situation brought about by the imprisonment of his parents for their religious beliefs. Later, he moved to Birmingham - to the area of Digbeth which had natural springs and where a watercourse flowed into the Rea via the manorial mill from which Mill Lane (still found there) takes its name. Originally built to grind corn, the mill later produced sword blades for the Parliamentary forces during the English Civil War. However, this led to its destruction by Prince Rupert's forces when they attacked the town in 1643. It was rebuilt and later converted by Sampson Lloyd. They specialised in converting iron into units suitable for nail makers. On the death of his father in 1724, Sampson (2) Lloyd, the son, took over the running of the business.
In 1727 Sampson (2) Lloyd married Sarah Parkes - daughter of another important Quaker family. With links to the Pemberton and Fidoe families, these Quaker dynasties ensured a stable and somewhat egalitarian approach to business - there being little dissipation of capital since they remained almost entirely 'of one class' - neither settling vast amounts on marriage nor breaking up assets to climb social ladders. In avoiding the ladders they also avoided the snakes - so that the fruits of their non-conformist alliances grew in proportion to their commitment to thrift and to hard work.
Sarah (Parkes) Lloyd died in 1729 leaaving one son. Sampson Lloyd re-married - his second wife being Rachel Champion. They had six children of whom, a daughter, Rachel, married David Barclay - founder of another well known bank.
For the Lloyds, their iron works trade prospered through the Seven Years War from 1756 to 1763. As business slowed after the war, Sampson Lloyd began discussions with another Quaker, John Taylor, about other opportunities. John Taylor had made his fortune manufacturing buttons and japanned goods. In June 1765, Sampson Lloyd joined with John Taylor and their two sons to raise a total of £6,000 to form a bank in Dale End, Birmingham. The main aim of the Taylor & Lloyds Bank was to provide credit to small manufacturers in the area. The bank was a great success and in the first six years of trading produced a profit of more than £10,000. As well as lending money, Taylor & Lloyds was involved in investing in new ventures such as the Birmingham Canal Navigation Company.
One of Sampson Lloyd's sons, Charles Lloyd - mother, Rachel Champion - had a daughter, Precilla Lloyd, who married the brother of the poet, William Wordsworth. As a 'poetic' aside, the poet Shelley was associated with Radnorshire's Cwm Elan estate now submerged by the Elan Dam. Had he lived, he would have inherited both the property and a baronetcy.
The sons of the original Lloyd and Taylor partners followed in their fathers' footsteps by establishing another bank - Barnetts Hoares Hanbury and Lloyd - in Londons Lombard Street and eventually, this became absorbed into the Lloyds Banking Company. Today it is called Lloyds TSB and is represented on a global basis. Earlier celebrated roots go to the 'Lloyds' of London. It is conjectural but satisfying to imagine that "the sign of the Black Horse" may have been inspired - originally - by a Welsh-bred animal known to the founders.
The Hanbury family connects via another family line treated on this site and there is clearly an irony here in that it was originally Lloyds Bank which foreclosed on the Hanbury-Tracy family - the Lords Sudeley - at the end of the nineteenth century and which saw the loss to the family's seat of Toddington Manor near Cheltenham in Gloucestershire.
The only child of the first marriage of Sampson (2) Lloyd was Sampson (3) Lloyd and he (with others) inherited the property of Richard Parkes. He also inherited the property of his cousin, Betsy Fidoe. His son was Samuel (1) Lloyd (1768-1849) who devoted himself entirely to the banking interests of the family. In 1818 he took up residence in Wednesbury (near Birmingham) where he soon became known as 'Quaker Lloyd'.
One of the assets bequeathed by Richard Parkes was a 500 year lease on the Hobbs Hole Colliery - the Wednesbury mines (taken in 1708 and 1710 from Richard Shelton) but they were, at that time, virtually unworkable because of flooding. Seventy five years later, with the invention and development of pumping equipment, the mines promised massive returns. The lease was, in fact challenged in 1818 on the grounds that the mines had never been worked in Shelton'e lifetime. The court of Chancery ground through three years of deliberations without judgement ever being pronounced by Lord Chancellor Eldon. Eventually, the matter was settled out of court and Samuel Lloyd was able to form a company comprising various heirs of Richard Parkes - Lloyd, Fosters & Co. - and mining was commenced.
A later Lloyd descendant (1879-1941) was Lord Lloyd of Dolobran, Secretary of State For The Colonies, & former President of the British Council. He championed the cause of religious tolerance - a tolerance that was seldom shown to his Quaker forebears. He worked (1939/1940) with a Mosque Committee, comprising various prominent Muslims and Ambassadors in London and persuaded the British Government to present a site for a mosque in London for the Muslim community of Great Britain. As he pointed out in a memo to the Prime Minister, inter-alia 'only London contains more Moslems than any other European capital but in our empire which actually contains more Moslems than Christians it was anomalous and inappropriate that there should be no central place of worship for Mussulmans.'
A further family connection with the Lloyd family was created by a 1799 marriage between the clan Anstruther and a Lloyd descendant which gave rise to the family line of Lloyd-Anstruther - with connections to the Powell family via Mary Powell who was daughter and heiress of Charles Powell of Penybank - grandson of James, 4th Duke of Hamilton and the Lloyd line supported by Lucy Lloyd, the daughter and heiress of Sir Richard Lloyd, of Hintlesham, one of the Barons of the Exchequer. In fact, the Lloyds of Dolobran have a Sottish tartan which may be worn by descendant kin.
In the modern era, Jonathan James Drew-Smythe is married to Sheila Lloyd Robertson who was born at Mountain Ash in Wales.
Further reading: Edwards, George H. The Story of the Old Quaker Meeting House at Dolobran and the Rise of the Quaker Faith in Mid-Wales. Birkenhead: The author, 1959.
Grateful thanks are also extended to a number of internet and family sources. The above text has been compiled, edited and placed in context solely for inclusion on this site. All corrections and additions are most welcome.