- "SMYTHE of
BARBAVILLA" (Westmeath, Ireland)
from Thomas Smyth (b.1520) who married Jane
Smyth (d. 1689) - of
Ballymacash, Co. Antrim. (High Sheriff, 1680)
- Captain Ralph
Smyth (the Tanner) was the progenitor of
the Irish Smythe line treated
- He married, in
1643, Alice (Elizabeth?)
Hawksworth - the daughter of Sir Richard Hawksworth of Hawksworth Hall,
Yorkshire. Click on the Rosedale
"spot" on the
map (right) to follow David Smyth's research on
the Smyth family.
The children of
Ralph Smyth and Alice (Elizabeth) Hawksworth
1. William Smyth - The Rt. Revnd. (Bishop of Kilmore &
Ardagh 1682) - of Manor and Castle of Ranaghan -
became Bishop of Killala in 1680, trans. Raphoe 1693. He
married (1672) Mary (?) Elizabeth Povey
(d. 1730). (Mary) Elizabeth Povey was the daughter of Chief Justice, Sir John
Children of the marriage:
- Ralph Smyth
(d.1757) married Anne Lanier,
daughter of Colonel Sir John Lanier.
There were no children of the marriage.
- In progress
Builder of Barbavilla)
- Rt Reverend Edward
DD, Bishop of Down & Connor - who d.
1720. (Smyth family of Mount Henry) A daughter, Elizabeth
Francis Smyth married (1727) 1st
Earl of Courtown. There were
children of this marriage.
- Mary Smyth d.
1753 married Thomas de Burgh MP (d.
1730) of Oldtown, Co. Kildare. There were
children of the marriage. NB
- Anstruther family is
also linked by marriage to the de
Burgh family, late 19th/20th
Frances Smyth married Darby
- There were children of the
marriage among whom the youngest daughter
- Alice Smyth married
the Rev. John Echlin -
nephew of Most Rev. John Vesey, DD
Archbishop of Tuam.
(High Sheriff of Co. Antrim in 1691) - progenitor of
Smyth(e) families in Drumcree, Glananea and Coole
- 3. Ralph Smyth - of Ballingarry,
Co. Tipperary, married Mary Jackson. There were children of the marriage. In
- 4. Alice Smyth - rnarried George
Lambert - There
was a child/there were children of the marriage.
- 5. Mary Smyth - rnarried Col.
Daniel McGenis (McGuiness family?)
- 6. Margaret Smyth - no known
- 7. Robert Smyth - Vicar of
Ballyloughloe, Co. Meath, (of Portlick Castle)
- rnarried (unknown)
children of the marriage:
- 7. i Michael Smyth
m. Isabella Johnstone.
There were children of the marriage.
- 7. ii Jane Smyth
m. 1714 the Rev. Stephen
Radcliffe. There were children
of the marriage.
- 7. iii Alice
m. 1718 the Rev. John
Travers, (d. 1774) Rector of
Ballyloughloe, Co. Meath. She died in
1778, leaving children of the marriage.
Follow the Alice Smyth link to see one of
the descendant lines.
Stopford - 1st Earl of Courtown
- Irish Member of Parliament 1721-1758;
raised to the Irish peerage on 19th September 1758 as
Baron Stopford; became Viscount Stopford and Earl of
Courtown on 1st. April 1762; built Courtown House 1726.
The link will give access to the ancestry of STREATFIELD
and includes many of the families identified with the
Smyth families of Ireland. His wife, Elizabeth Francis
Smyth (1705-1788) is buried in 'St. Andrew's Church',
Henry Ballybrittas, Portarlington,
is now a convent. It was completed in 1820
for Henry Smyth to the designs of Richard
Morrison of Morrisons in London. The 'Skeffington' Smyth branch of the family took up
residence in 1823 and the house was
occupied by the Smyths until 1922.
Skeffington Randal, V.L. (Vice-Lieutenant) J.P. King's
County; late Lieut. 28th Foot), Mount Henry, Portarlington;
Kildare. Street Club Dublin; Army and Navy Club London S.W. (King's
County 1882 documentation) He retired with the rank
The last Smyth owner of the
property was Major Randal Charles Skeffington Smyth
(b. 1863), the son of
Colonel Edward Skeffington Randal Smyth (d.1887) and his wife, Letitia.
Major Smyth left
the house in the charge of a caretaker at the outbreak of the
first World War. Shortly after the war, it was rented for
about a year by Dublin physician, Dr. Oliver St. John Gogarty.
In 1922, Mount
Henry was sold for £1,500 to a Mr. Burke who subsequently
sold it to the Diocese of Kildare and Leighlin in the late
twenties. It became the residence of the Bishop of the Diocese,
Dr. Cullen, who then sold it to the Presentation Sisters in 1933.
The house was renamed "Mount St. Anne's" and the
Sisters took up residence on July 26th of that year.
Built in the grand
Georgian style, Mount Henry is fronted with dressed granite, the
entrance consisting of a raised platform of Portland flags,
reached by three steps, surrounded by a portico, which is
supported by pillars, crowned by a pediment and flanked by large,
symmetrical bay windows on either side. The
stone floored front hall has a screen of columns and a small
circular gallery lets in light from a roof lantern.