Henry James Drew
H.J. D. Smythe joind the
Gloucestershire Hussars in 1910 as a trooper. He was
commissioned in the RAMC in 1914.
He served throughout
World War 1, being awarded a Military Cross in 1918 for
carrying out his medical duties in the face of enemy fire. During
the inter-war years he was the Medical Officer respectively
to 66 Brigade Royal Artillary and the South Midland Royal
Engineers. His service throughout World War II (qv)
included the command of a number of general hospitals in
India and Burma.
section ~ 2nd Southern General Hospital